Sunday, December 1, 2013

Top 10 Reasons to Run a Race, Even Though You're Likely to Come in Last


I love to run, but I haven't been graced with the gift of speed.  In grad school, a friend kindly told me that I was the 'tortoise', rather than the 'hare' in Aesop's famous fable.  I think he was trying to console me with thoughts of 'slow and steady wins the race'.  But, I've never won a race in my life.  In fact, I usually finish in the bottom 5% of the field. 

I signed up to run a the 5.2 mile option of the Oregon Mid-Valley Road Race, thinking it would be a good way to start Thanksgiving.  Visions of delicious morsels that would soon be had motivated me to get out there for a run.  Our Thanksgiving day menu of roasted chicken, sweet potato gnocchi with seared brussels sprouts and tarragon cream, mashed potatoes, beet and citrus salad and bread pudding and Maker's Mark pumpkin pie provided plenty of inspiration.

These plans were made before I checked the previous years' race results and realized that I was likely to be the last one to cross the finish line.  Everyone's finish times and splits were faster than my 12:00-12:30 minute miles, and I couldn't help but imagining the race director and volunteers starting to pack up the course while I was still running.

But, I had already signed up, and I didn't want to quit.  Before the race, I tried to think of why one would run, knowing that they would probably come in last.   

Here is what I came up with:  
  1. It's possible, although not plausible, that I could finish near the top of the field.  On any given Sunday, right?
  2. I'm still able to run, when so many others can't.  My childhood friend, Don.  My high school friend, Heather.  My colleague, Gail.  I don't go to a church.  My runs are when I say a prayer for those who have passed, or those who are waging a furious fight against cancer.  I give thanks with each breath, and try to send healing thoughts out into this world.
  3. Runner's World tells me I"ll burn 663 calories on a 5-mile run.  That's just about enough to cover one healthy slice of bourbon pumpkin pie, thank you.
  4. The swag is occasionally worthwhile.  I don't normally run for tee shirts (I have too many!), but I liked that this race shirt was a black, long sleeve tech shirt.  The perfect shirt for a fall or spring run.
  5. Many local races benefit a worthwhile cause.  Thursday's race benefitted the local Lion's Club, which supports several local charities, including our local schools.
  6. Many races have local sponsors, where you can try out local foods or drink.  Eola Hills winery was at the finish line on Thursday, with a healthy glass of pinot noir for finishers.
  7. I still can't believe that I spent $99 for a running vest.  A vest!  But, warmth without bulk makes all the difference when running on cold days, and Thursday's run started off at 27 degrees F. 
  8. Running with others does help me to push myself just a bit.  I don't run to be miserable.  I enjoy a slow and steady pace.  But, when you're running on someone's heels, sometimes its easier to pick up the pace for a second,and pass them, rather than running elbow to elbow.
  9. I run for my (step)kids.  I like modeling the fact that you're never too old to compete or to challenge yourself.  I want them to know that hosting fears about not doing well is not a reason to give up or to not try.
  10. Sometimes, the loudest cheers are reserved for the final finisher.  I'm a runner.  I'm slow.  I still get out there and race, even though I will never win a running award.  Maybe that deserves a cheer, after all.


I finished 3rd from last ~ and was in last place until mile 3, when I was able to kick it up a gear and net some negative splits.

I was happy with my run, although not happy with this race.  Organizational issues made it less than fun for some (including me!).  
  • Walkers accidentally followed the crowd of runners ~ and found themselves on the 3+ mile course, rather than the 2 mile walking course.  There were announcements about where walkers versus runners should go, but starting the runners and walkers in separate waves would have really helped stem this problem.
  • The organizers started closing up the course before I was finished running.  This is a slow runner's nightmare!  I hit a turnabout, with four options where I could run.  No signs.  No volunteers to direct me.  I managed to flag down two volunteers who were driving away, and asked them 'where do I go?!?'.  They pointed me in the right direction, but told me that they were told that the race was finished.  I mentioned that there were two women still behind me ~ but the volunteers still drove away!  Grrrr.
  • I almost ran past the finish line for the same reason.  There were no signs.  There were no volunteers.  I was following the cones that were used to direct traffic, and missed the turn-off to the finish line.  This is kind of a bummer, because it just made me feel like I shouldn't have run this race ~ that my slow 12:28 pace wasn't welcome.
There were other, minor issues, as well (water stations not prepared for runners, traffic control on the course seemed to anger drivers / confuse runners).  

I doubt I'll run this race next year, because of the organizational issues.  But, I did like that they offered a 5 mile option (rather than the normal 5K option) for a Thanksgiving Day run.


No comments:

Post a Comment