Saturday, March 18, 2017

Easing Back into Running

I ran three times this week!  In 2016, I logged 6 runs, all year.  Why did I take so much time off?  Work (too busy).  Injuries (in near constant pain).  Weather (it's been a long, dark and wet winter in Oregon).  Laziness (let's be honest).

But I've missed running.  I miss the alone time (or time with my dog), to hit the trail and clear my thoughts.  It truly is where I do some of my best thinking.  Some my co-workers have told me that they count running as 'billable hours'.  I have to agree.  I've reworked manuscripts (in my head) on the trail.  I've organized my workday, my thoughts, my life.  But it's taken me a year to ease back into it.

I ran two miles, each time, for a six mile week!  I'm well aware that a distance that takes many people 30 minutes to cover too me a full week.  But, no mind.  I was happy to be back out there.

Work has been brutally busy this past year.  I've taken on too much, and I'm paying for it.  All of this has made me feel like I've had no time to go for a run.  But for the past three months, I've been feeling suffocated by work, and decided it was time to find my breath, again.

I didn't break any land speed records.  I didn't go far.  But I went.  And it felt fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment