Saturday, August 31, 2013

Crossfit and the Middle-Aged Woman

I admit it.  I've fallen for Crossfit.  Although there are a lot of Crossfit haters out there on the web (read one example, here), I have to say that it's been an awesome addition to my workouts.

Prior to Crossfit, I never did strength training.  I would run modest distances (3-6 miles), 3-6 times per week.  In my ideal world, I would run 3-4 miles 4 days during the work week and 6 miles on the weekend.  But injuries and time made it hard to get in that many runs, each and every week.  Because I like to run trails, rather than around my neighborhood, a weekday run takes me at least an hour (driving to and from the trail, plus 30-45 minutes to run and stretch).  And, I never really felt like I was improving as a runner.  My attempts at speed-work (intervals or tempo runs) almost always ended in injury.  I . . . . just . . . . . felt . . . . . stuck.

And I wanted to try strength training.  But I found the weight room at my University gym to be really intimidating.  I mean, I'm a 42-year old woman.  It doesn't exactly help my self-image to work out next to a bunch of 18-22 year-olds.  I also had no idea what to do in a weight room.

Weight room at OSU's Dixon Recreational Center.
Which is why I turned to Crossfit.  I had tried personal training in the past, and really didn't care for the focused attention.  A description on the website for Calapooia Crossfit likened the process to small group training.  I would get the instruction I needed, without the focused attention that just makes me nervous.

I had never met anyone who did Crossfit.  I barely knew anything about Crossfit when I started, but by my third workout, I was hooked.  Six months later, I've gotten stronger.  I understand how to do basic lifts.  My runs are faster.  My body has muscle tone!  Six months after starting Crossfit, I feel healthier.  And for me, that's always been the point.

I give credit to Calapooia Crossfit for creating such a positive space to learn and to workout.  The instructor (Sam) was a physical education teacher prior to starting the gym.  Her teaching style is clear, patient and never condescending.  I have a Ph.D., but I never feel more stupid than when I'm in the gym.  My mind can't always translate words into motion, so it takes me a lot longer to get a new move, compared to others.  With a less patient or understanding teacher, I probably would have bolted.

The folks who go to the gym range in age from their 20s through their 60s ~ which is awesome.  I don't feel like the 'mom' or the 'old lady' of the group.  I genuinely like the people I work out with.  They're interesting and diverse and funny and humble.

And, I love that I can be in and out of the gym in an hour.  A typical workout is:

  • warmup for 3-5 minutes (row, jump rope, run)
  • skills work (for me, right now, I'm working on knees to elbows by doing 25-20-15-10-5 back extensions, followed by 5 knees to elbows and 10 push ups between every set of back extensions)

  • The workout of the day, or the WOD.  For example, yesterday's WOD was 3 rounds for time of: 15 hang power cleans (I did it with 45 pounds), 15 burpees.  I finished the 3 rounds in just shy of 10 minutes ~ which is a slow time for most, but a good time for me!
  • Weightlifting, which is called 'Wendler', after the guy who came up with the system.  A typical Wendler might be 5 sets of 5 reps of squats or 5 sets of 5, 3, 1 reps of military press.  
I always do the warmup and the WOD.  I usually do skills work.  I rarely do my Wendler . . . just because I don't have more than an hour to spend in the gym on most days.  

I limit my gym time 3 days a week, so that I can run the other 3 days a week.  The 7th day is indeed my day of rest.   

And I'm getting healthier, while loving every minute of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment