Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Social Networking for Runners ~ The Daily Mile

I've joined DailyMile.com, which is like Facebook for runners.  You can also log your swimming, biking and gym workouts on the site ~ but I use it primarily for running.

I love the site, and have found that I use and enjoy it more than Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking sites that have become little more than curators of news, events and opinions. 

On the Daily Mile, I'm constantly inspired by others' workouts, and encouraged when they notice that I've reached a new milestone in my own training.  It's great to connect to a community of like-minded folks who are each running their own race, to try and reach whatever individual goals they've set. 

The site also gives some really fun stats about your training, such as how many donuts you've burned (216, since I've starting logging miles on the site), how many TVs you could power (1000+), or how many pounds you've burned (11 ~ although, I haven't lost 11 pounds.  darn appetite!).

It's become one of the first sites I check out, once I wake up ~ and it always encourages me to put on my running clothes and head outdoors  How could I not, when others are logging that they're running in 20 degree F weather, with snow on the ground?  A few Oregon clouds can't really match up to a midwestern winter, when it comes to 'excuses not to run'.

No comments:

Post a Comment