Sunday, December 23, 2012

Lewisburg Saddle, Corvallis, OR

Location: Starts from parking lot on Sulphur Spring Road, just north of Corvallis.  To get there from Highway 99W, head west on Lewisburg Road (just north of Crescent Valley High School).  Bear right on Sulphur Spring Road.  Parking lot is on the right.
Untitled
Forest Road 500.
Date run: December 23, 2012, 11:00 am
Distance: 5.6 Miles, loop
Pros:Wide forest roads that were relatively dry (or at least, not flooded) in the middle of winter rains.  Perfect run!  No wonder this is the trail run mecca of the local Corvallis Area.
Cons:  The single track connector was a steep and slippery in places, due to the winter rains.  I had to walk down this section, because I was scared of losing my footing.
Number of people encountered on run:  4, but it was a rainy and cold day.
Summary of Run:  Gradual ascent for the first 1.5 miles.  I took a single track connector to get from Forest Road 500 to Forest Road 580, but I could have gone further up on FR 500, to make a 6.6 mile run.  The single track connector was really steep in places, and wet/slippery from the winter rains.

Untitled
Single track connector between FR 500 & FR 580.




It's Christmas Break!  I'm not traveling, and finally have the time to rest and relax.  When working, I rarely have the time to drive to Corvallis (and back) for a 5-6 mile run.  I wanted to take advantage of this gift of time, and go out on a new run that would challenge me.  Also, I'm REALLY missing trail running, which I can't easily do in my own town of Albany, since all of the local trails are flooded.

This run starts out from the parking lot, with a gradual 300 foot ascent of Forest Road 500.  I have a bad case of exercise-induced asthma, which makes almost any ascent a real challenge.  But, my lungs didn't ache or burn on this ascent, and I really enjoyed the climb.

I consulted a few maps before heading out on this run, and knew that I would have to run *some* distance before hitting the turn around point on the loop.  But, I didn't know how far I'd have to run.  This made me run a bit conservatively.  I walked in places I wouldn't normally walk, but I didn't want to get lost and exhausted in the middle of a forest, with just me and Cowboy (my husky).  The next time I run this loop, I'm confident that I could have a much better time.

I knew that at some point, I would have to turn left to connect with Forest Road, 580, but I didn't know where I should turn.  So, I took the first well-traveled trail that I could see on my left, not realizing until after I finished the run (and could consult a map) that I should have kept going on FR 500 for about another mile.  The connector trail that I took was single-track, very steep in places, and muddy from the winter rains.  With a husky tethered to my waist, it made this part of the run interesting when I decided to let Cowboy take the lead and set the pace.  It gave my thighs a great workout when I put on the breaks to gingerly walk us through some of the more technical sections.  Forest Road 580 was mostly level.  Clear cut sections of the forest provided great views of the valley, before running into the thick of the forest once more.

The views of the forest were inspiring.  We're well into the winter, and the trees are dripping with moss and lichen.  The forest mist hangs low to the ground.  Ferns stood at full attention all along the single track trail.  A series of smaller, rain-fed waterfalls lines Forest Road 580, providing Cowboy with opportunities to get a quick drink when needed.

At 5.6 miles, this was my longest run, since the Columbia Gorge Half Marathon in October.  I'm trying to do at least one longer run per week ~ a difficult goal in the middle of an Oregon winter, when the sun doesn't really rise, but instead gradually changes the sky from shades of navy blue to light gray.  Wet, cold winds make it difficult to tear myself away from a warm cup of tea.

But, all of this cold, Oregon rain grows thick, verdant forests that make for quiet and beautiful places to go for a run.  I'm so glad I live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment