Thursday, December 13, 2012

Planning Some Rave Runs

Master Gardener training season is coming up, and that means that I'll be on the road several days each week, from January through March.  In the past, I would only work ~ and never play ~ feeling bad for enjoying myself on work trips.

But then I found that denying myself any and all enjoyment during work trips that swallowed most of my winter made me . . . miserable.  It also helped me to gain 20 pounds, from 3-6 hours in the car, with no opportunity to exercise or enjoy the natural beauty that abounds around Oregon.

Now, I try to take a more balanced approach to work and play.  I drive.  I teach.  I hike or run.  I'm happier, and I think it makes me a better teacher, too.

Thus, I'm starting to plan my winter runs across the state.  Seeing this Runner's World post on Rave Runs, including one in Port Orford, Oregon ~ very near the Curry County Extension office in Gold Beach, OR, where I'll be teaching in March.

Rave Run in Port Orford, OR, from http://www.runnersworld.com/where-run/rave-run-port-orford-oregon



I've driven past Port Orford State Park numerous times, and never knew that there was such a gorgeous run just minutes from the the Oregon Route 101.  That's the main reason I started this blog ~ to help others who might want to find a nice place for a quick run, but might not know where to start or what to expect on Oregon's extensive trail system.

So, I'm trying to find Rave Runs for each and every place I'm scheduled to teach, over the next 3 months, including:
  • Wilsonville
  • Newport
  • Central Point
  • Roseburg
  • Eugene
  • Albany
  • Portland
  • Corvallis
  • Dallas 
  • Newport (again)
  • Myrtle Point
  • Gold Beach
  • Oregon City
  • Tillamook
  • Salem
  • The Dalles
  • Burns
  • Hood River
  • McMinnville
I'm challenging myself to run at each and every site ~ although this will be easier to accomplish in some places (i.e. Albany ~ where I live and know the local trail system) than in others (i.e. Oregon City, because I'll be speaking at 7pm at night ~ too late to run after the talk, but I don't want to show up sweaty and stinky).

But, I'll give it my best shot, and hope to discover even more to love about this gorgeous state in which I live.


No comments:

Post a Comment