Thursday, November 1, 2012

Columbia Gorge Half Marathon

This past Sunday, my husband and I ran the Columbia Gorge half marathon.  It was the first half marathon for both of us, and while my husband had at least a few long runs under his belt, I hadn't run more than 4 miles all summer.
Although all of the forecasts predicted rain, and the sky was grey and cloudy, it merely misted for a few moments.  It was a perfect day for a run.

My husband runs 7 minute miles.  I run 11-12 minute miles ~ on flat trails ~ for about 3.5 to 4 miles.  This run was long and hilly.  I ended up averaging a 13'02"  mile.  But, in my defense, I did stop to take photos (but didn't stop my watch), as well as to use the restroom.  So, I had a fairly decent showing.
Untitled
Me at the start of the race.
This race was literally the most fun I have ever had running, in my entire life.  The views make this race.  Added bonuses were the fantastic volunteers, uncrowded course and picture perfect weather.

The race begins with a nearly 400 foot climb from the Columbia River to the Mark Hatfield trailhead.  Because we drove the climb the day before, I at least knew that the hills would end ~ eventually.  I kept my head down, shortened my stride, took even breaths, and made it to the top without stopping.  Heck ~ I didn't stop until mile 10.75, when my lack of training hit me hard with a major bonk.  But, at this early stage in the race, I was only at mile 3 and enjoying every moment.

Untitled
Gorgeous view of the Columbia River from the race route. 
Once past the Mark Hatfield trailhead, the course followed the old Columbia River Highway.  The elevation was undulating, but nothing so harsh as to be punishing.

In this out and back race, I saw the lead runner at about mile 4, as he was just passing mile 8.  I saw my husband a few minutes later.  We cheered each other and gave a quick high 5 before continuing on our way.

Somewhere along mile 6, the gorgeous twin tunnels came into view.  Just on the other side of the tunnels was the turn-around point, at mile 6.6.  I was enjoying the run (and my music) a bit too much, and didn't realize that I hit the turn around point.  A volunteer had to run after me and grab me by the elbow, to let me know I had run too far!
Untitled
The light at the end of the tunnel.  The end of the tunnel marks the half way point of the race.
From there, it was mostly downhill, with a few slight uphills just to keep my quads awake.  The end was getting closer with each step, but I didn't want this run to end . . . until I hit mile 10.75.

I had been sucking on gummy bears throughout the entire race, but the simple sugars they supplied weren't enough.  Although I had been loving every step of the run up until that point, I felt all of the energy drain out of me in a near instant.  Knowing my husband was long finished with his race, I texted him to let him know that I had bonked, and that I might be longer than I had hoped.

I walked about a quarter mile, and then picked up the pace to a slow jog ~ all in an effort to finish this run sooner, rather than later.  At mile 12, I gave myself permission to walk once more, to shamefully text my status to my husband.  What a surprise it was to see him waiting for me on the sidewalk!  He had walked back to mile 12 to meet me ~ a sweet gesture that really gave me the energy I needed to finish the last 1.1 miles.

Steve and I talked for a bit, before I took off to meet him at the finish line.  I did this race for me ~ to see if I had it in me to run a half marathon on little or no distance-specific training.  In my younger days, I never would have doubted that I could go out and run 10+ miles on a whim.  In my 40's, I had a lot of doubts.

I wish that I had worn a short sleeve shirt for this run.  Anticipating the rain, I dressed for cool weather.  But, at 60 degrees F and dry ~ I warmed up quite a bit in the long sleeve shirt ~ especially after the first set of hills.

Other than being a bit overdressed (an issue that rarely, if ever plagues me), it was a perfect day of running.  Gorgeous views of the Columbia River, some kicking tunes on my iPhone, and a supportive running partner kept me smiling all along the course.


1 comment:

  1. That gorgeous views of the Columbia River is enough to keep anyone going :-)

    ReplyDelete